Nova the Squirrel
Nova the Squirrel is an NES game that stars Nova Storm, a green squirrel, who ends up in a strange world at a convenient time, and has to use her new abilities to save it. It's a platformer that mostly focuses on Kirby-style ability copying and puzzle mechanics.
- 33 different levels across 5 worlds, and 7 bosses to fight
- Copy the abilities of your enemies. (10 in all!)
- Over 35 different types of enemies, plus variants.
- Interesting puzzle mechanics.
- A collectible in every level for those wanting a challenge.
- A few bonus challenge levels after the main game.
This game is completely open source. The engine is GPL licensed and you may use it to create your own NES platformer games, and all of the accompanying tools, while lacking user friendliness, are open source as well. You can freely distribute or sell your game, as long as the source is also provided.
Get it on itch.io!
Get it on GameJolt!
Net Puzzle Arena is the spiritual sequel to freepuzzlearena. It will be a collection of cross-platform action puzzle games with online multiplayer. The primary focus is making a way to play a mostly accurate version of Puzzle League online. Work in progress.
A recreation of the old BYOND "building game" genre of games. So far players can connect, register, walk around, and build on a map together. Later players will be able to create their own maps with permission settings they choose, and upload their own graphics and player sprites. Work in progress.
Forehead Block Guy SDL
A C rewrite of my earlier Forehead Block Guy for NES
that I wrote in 2011, except a lot cooler and way less buggy. This is a simple platformer where you go around launching blocks from your forehead (hence the name) in order to defeat enemies. Some levels involve defeating all the enemies on a level and some require you to collect a certain number of Doritos.
This is still unfinished, as I started running out of ideas after I finished the first world and with the new, more complex level format I never finished the level editor. I was originally writing this for the nD but since that's dead I'm not sure what to do with it now, and if I was going to make a game like this for a non-NES platform I'd probably make DABG instead.
Download (with source)
SkiFree POOP VERSION
This is just the classic SkiFree with lots of pictures changed with a resource editor to make it have poop and Doritos and Obama and stuff in place of what's normally there.
Very fast implementation of Conway's Life for the NES with a 32x32 grid. Originally I wanted to reverse engineer how Video Life manages to be so fast but then I decided to just try and make a Life that takes advantage of how much more space you get in an NES cart.
Download (with source, 2013)
Conway's Life for Game Boy
This is a fast version of Conway's Life for Game Boy. It has a 32x32 grid and uses the same algorithm as the 32x32 NES version. Supports Game Boy Color, allowing you to switch to double speed mode, and has a 64x64 grid mode that doesn't currently work.
Forehead Block Guy
My first complete NES game that led to DABG and that sucks and has horrible code, and that I wrote when I was 15. I'd recommend checking out the SDL version
or just playing DABG which has most of the same gameplay.
Download (with source, 2011)
A really old hack of Super Mario Bros that changes all the levels, lots of palettes, graphics and even the music. There's a mix of a disco theme with Youtube Poop theme and this was the first game of mine to have flying cheeseburger enemies.
Download (IPS patch, 2008)
This is a very simplistic tile-based platformer for the TI-83+ and TI-84+ graphing calculators where you can walk around and place/remove tiles on a 48x16 map, which you can save or load to 9 slots. Oh, and you can draw up to 16 of your own block types.
Download (with source, 2012)
Rules for Golly
- Ash2 - a simple rule that stays mostly stable but that has guns and spaceships
- Banks4World - Banks IV and WireWorld combined and able to interface with each other
- Wanderers+ - a version of a Generations rule named Wanderers that's supposed to make it easier to make guns with the addition of another cell state
- NeatTracks - signals flow over tracks, see the examples
- NCWireWorld - a version of WireWorld with tiny wire crossing states and states for AND, OR and XOR
- JustFriends - implementation of the JustFriends rule from MCell
- Phoenix - rule where no cell lives for more than one generation
Comics I like
Font: Denjuu World